Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tuesday in Lower Assisi

     So the first thing we did Tuesday was a Rosary walk down the mountain to Lower Assisi, where Fr. Bergida said Mass for us in a small chapel in Santa Maria Degli Angeli. This church is a Franciscan church after which was named a mission in the US. It's current name? LA. Santa Maria de los Angeles is the (Spanish) name of both this church in Assisi and the town in California. Cool trivia.
     On the way down, you'll see a number of thornless rose bushes. The story is that St. Francis jumped into a rosebush in order to distract himself from temptations. After this, the roses lost their thorns.
 
On the way to Mass

     After Mass we had a tour of the church. Very fun tour guide. We started outside on the steps of the church, from whence you can see the Porziuncola: the church within a church. It's an absolutely beautiful little church, with an amazing altarpiece depicting the Annunciation. Alas, pictures were not allowed. I did find this, however: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/assisi-santa-maria-degli-angeli .
     This church's name comes from the word for the property on which it stood, "little portion." This chapel and the land around it was given to St. Francis and his brothers by the Benedictine monks who were here in the valley.

The Porziuncola
      St. Francis had a vision of Jesus and Mary when he was praying in this chapel, and they asked him what favor he wanted. St. Francis asked that a plenary indulgence be granted to all who pass through the doors of the church. Many pilgrims have since come to this little chapel.


Facade of Santa Maria Degli Angeli
     After the tour, we took a bus back up the mountain, had lunch, and then had free time, which time I spent church-hunting. Below is something you'll see in Italy--

The McDonald's emergency vehicle. :)
     During my free time, I found the location of Santa Maria delle Rose, but the church was closed, so I couldn't go inside. :(  I also found San Stephano, which I was able to enter. It was a cool, dark, out of the way church. To me, it looked like something that belongs in the English Isles, somewhere in the ruins of those green places.


     This church had some very deteriorated frescoes in it. I only saw two, but I'm sure all the walls were originally painted.

I wish I could have seen it brand new!
So many beautiful Marian images in these churches!

     And that pretty much concludes the last full day in Assisi. I've decided that it's nigh impossible to have one favorite church in Assisi. Now I'm waiting for some of you to jump on top of me and proclaim me wrong by telling me which was your favorite. :) Ah, well. I was never very good at the favorite game. By the way, here's a site with some pictures of San Francesco: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/assisi-san-francesco .

2 comments:

  1. As an afterthought, I am VERY attached to the Porziuncola. I want to just lie on a pew and stare up at the ceiling and walls..... I want to do that in half the churches I've been in. They take serious pride in their ceilings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have a favorite in Assisi, either, but I suppose if I had to pick it would be the Lower Basilica of San Francesco. But I have so many happy memories of all the other churches its very, very hard to pick.

    ReplyDelete