Friday, September 7, 2012

Arrival


     Well, here I am, safe and sound, in Residence Candia. I got here at about 11:00 am Rome time, 5:00 am home time. One of the first things I noticed when I got off the taxi is that Rome smells exactly like it did fifteen years ago. It's weird how everyplace has its own smell. Our cars, our houses, our workplaces... We just don't usually notice it because we're accustomed to it.
     Back to traveling. I actually have had it very easy so far. No delays from ATL to Chicago, and no delays from Chigao to Fiumicino. I didn't get sick on either plane, and I didn't lose my luggage.
     Miss Ott from Christendom was there outside the baggage claim to meet all of us students who were coming from this airport, and she was fairly easy to find.
     Another easy thing I've had to do was the taxi-- I rode with another student (Donna Kelly) and a priest who is going to be leading us this coming week in Asissi and Siena. It's a really good thing we were with him, too, because he knew what he was doing. The three of us split the cost, so I only paid 17 Euro to get to Candia (or rather, one block away from it, since there was a one-way street and the guy apparently didn't feel like going around and dropping us off at the door).
     Once we got to Candia, we checked in and I took at nap. At three, we had orientation part 1, which consisted of mini-speeches, gelato (the lemon flavor was very good, but VERY strong), wandering around St. Peter's, and then going to Mass at St. Peter's.
     I was very happy to discover that the priests were saying the Mass in Latin; I could actually follow along! Whether you love or hate the vernacular, there's still something to be said for the saying of Mass in Latin: no matter what language you speak, or what country your from, you can still vocally participate in Mass.
     After Mass, we took a group photo and went out for dinner, which was pizza.
     The current adventures are going to bed and getting potable water. Not sure when I'll be posting next, but here are some pictures in the meantime:





 
Okay, A picture. The internet didn't seem to like the other two.... Another thing on my to-do list.


2 comments:

  1. Gloria, your post is bringing back such vivid memories! Have a wonderful, wonderful time! I love reading about your adventures in your typical "Gloria" style. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Clare! :) And I'm sure there are plenty more Gloria-tangents to come.

    ReplyDelete