Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Mediterranean Sea

     Today was an optional trip to Nettuno, a beach town on the Mediterranean where St. Maria Goretti is buried. I wasn't originally planning on going, but I'm glad I did (even though I managed to sunburn my face). It was really nice to take a train trip and to get out of the city.
     The water was actually fairly warm, considering that it's September. It was REALLY salty, though. I loved that there were waves close to the shore. It was so much fun to bob up and down on the waves. The sand was different there-- the sand farther from the water looked dark, like dirt. There were much fewer shells than there are on the Atlantic beaches, and there was no seaweed. It was nice to not feel living stuff underneath your feet in the water. :) (The Gulf Coast of Florida at Tampa was really nice, but I didn't like the fact that the sand felt slimy and that I was stepping all over seaweeds of various sorts.)
     After maybe 30-60 minutes, however, the tide really started coming in and bringing colder water with it, so I got out and walked back and forth along the beach.

The church at Nettuno, where St. Maria Goretti is buried


     I did not go into the church (there was talk of it maybe being closed for a few hours in the afternoon), which is kind of a bummer.
     I had my first kebab for lunch. Good, but way too much meat. Actually, I ended up not eating all the meat because of a canine friend outside the train station. The kebabs here are made basically the way burritos are, which means that I can't eat them in a dignified manner. Thus, I discovered a large fluffy being coming my way to eat the scraps I dropped. Then he just sat in front of me with a cheerful look on his face, as if to say "I'll be a big helper and eat that for you. You really don't want it." It was really funny. I've never seen a big dog be so happy-looking but well-behaved before. It looked kind of like a golden-white retriever, but with longer hair. His owner was very amused as well.

 
 

     I wanted to climb the rocks, but there were too many creepy critters on them. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment