Sunday, December 16, 2012

Carols and Sniffles


     I have been monstrous lazy of late, I know. And am I going to remedy that now by recounting more of my adventures abroad? Nope. Of course not. I will, however, tell you that I plan to use this to speak of my adventures at school... Perhaps. Not entirely sure. I will also reccommend to you some Advent and Christmas songs (hopefully I am introducing you to some new ones) in sundry European tongues. Thought that might kind of go with the theme of the blog.

English (Best versions are by the Westminster Cathedral Choir, which I was lucky enough to have heard last month at St. Mary Major's. See my post entitled "The Rest of the Last Free Weekend.")
The Holly and the Ivy
Hob and Colin
Coventry Carol
The Sussex Carol
What Child Is This

French (Try Fribourg L'Accorche-Choeur.)
Minuit Chrétiens (O Holy Night)
Les Anges Dans Nos Campagnes (Angels We Have Heard on High)

German (I like Kammerchor der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.)
Es Ist Ein Ros Entsprungen (Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming)
O Du Froliche (to the tune of O Sanctissima)
O Tannenbaum (O Christmas Tree; not a religious song, but still one that's pertinent to the season)
Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht (Silent Night)

Latin (Just about any decent choir ought to do these pretty well.)
Veni, Veni, Emmanuel (O Come, O Come, Emmanuel)
O Sanctissima


     The 101 Strings Orchestra is also fun to listen to, but it doesn't give you the full sense of the song, since it's just instrumental. They do a cool version of Greensleeves (same tune as What Child Is This). Happy Hunting and enjoy the last 5.5 hours of Gaudete Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment