Thursday, December 27, 2012

Capitoline Museum


     Well, this is a post that has been a draft for way too long. Without further ado, here is a messy and bare-bones version of what we did at the Capitoline museum:

     Capitoline Museum, nice area of town; weather is gross and sticky and I never knew this, but I love AC. (This was a Friday in mid-September. The Italians aren't exactly big users of Air Conditioning, and walking almost everywhere meant that you got even warmer and stickier.) The bus and the museum went on strike, so we had to be kicked out and we couldn't go down into the forum. Statues: the emperor from Gladiator (Commodus) dressed up as Hercules; "Constantine the Leper" as Prof. Lev dubbed it (pieces of a HUGE statue of Constantine); the dying Gaul, whom Andrew Hepler looks like now. This was the first public museum and it was opened by Pope Sixtus IV. Pliny’s doves, it’s a mosaic, even though it doesn’t look like one; it’s really good. The day before--- nothing happened Thursday, save that I scared Zach and Brizek by sneaking up behind them and pretending I was a tour guide. They fell for it. :D

     I apologize for the poor state of this post, but I know all too well that if I don't put it up as is, I'll just keep procrastinating. Enjoy the pictures at least!


. . . Amusing . . . This actually isn't part of Constantine the Leper

Bust of Hadrian

She-wolf with Romulus and Remus, who were added on at a much later date

Marcus Aurelius

Commodus dressed as Hercules

View of the Roman Forum from the Museum

Pliny's Doves, mosaic. Sorry I couldn't get a better shot. This is when we were getting kicked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment