Friday, November 9, 2012

San Giovanni e Fontana di Trevi

     Sitting in the Metro, the infamous sound was heard yet again: "Prossima fermata: Barberini, Fontana di Trevi. Uscita lado... destro?"
     That being said, I went to the Trevi Fountain today; but that was about the last thing I did.
     This being my last free weekend (second to last weekend, period) in Rome, I planned on sleeping very little and running about lots. Did that happen? Not really.
     I got up late, got coffee at All Brothers, bumped into an older American couple who confused me, was asked by the owners if I was from Boston, got a Corrieri della Sera paper for Daddy, and asked some Vatican workers for the Cupola hours.
     Came back to mine room, and left shortly thereafter for St. John Lateran, which was happily was on the red Metro line, not the blue line. Went to St. John Lateran and took pictures. I really was not terribly impressed with most of the church. It just seemed too... normal. The side chapels and the apse were lovely, however. The outside was cool as well, and it looked an awful lot like the facade of St. Peter's. It was nice to not have to wait in line to get in, like you do to get into St. Peter's and Notre Dame. However, the scarf salesmen were quite obnoxious outside the Lateran. Well, they weren't bothersome and frightening, but neither did they leave us alone the way that the ones along the Vatican Walls do. Then again, those ones probably know us all and know that we won't buy anything.


Apse with golden mosaic and awesome altar

Gate of a side chapel
     The next stop was this multi-level department store nearby. We had fun staring at ugly clothes and pretty Christmas decorations. It was nice to be in a Penney's-like place again.
     By the time we came out, it was getting dark, even though it wasn't that late. After getting lost and seeing the Four Fountains, we finally ended up at the Trevi Fountain, which was very crowded. I did indeed toss a coin into the fountain. I also killed a pair of shoes. Yay!
 
One of the Four Fountains. I took this picture a month ago on my church-hunt.
 
It was very pretty at night.
  
 
    Random note: it will be really nice to get home and be able to wear clothes that are more colors than black, green, and blue. I love those colors, but I'm getting kind of sick of wearing the same thing over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment