Thursday, October 4, 2012

Vatican Gardens

      Saturday morning was a wonderful and refreshing experience: a trip to the Vatican Gardens. This was my second and perhaps last trip beyond the gates to the left of the Colonnade of St. Peter's. Getting back there is very hard: you need to either be with the Roma Christiana tour bus or have connections. Apparently, we have connections. Thus, a group of ten of us got in.
     Yeah, I had to get up on a Saturday morning, but I can't think of a time (other than going to Mass or Confession or something along those lines) when it was more worth it. The gardens were beautiful. It was a wonderful escape from the noise, the bustle, and the ugly concrete of Rome.
     One of the first things we saw was a wedding going on in this little chapel past the all the gates. So cute! We've actually come across quite a lot of weddings here, at least one each week. Then we had one of those cool landscaping jobs in which the different plants and thier colors are used to make a huge picture on the ground. Which one? Well, this IS the Vatican. You can kind of guess. Next was the cactus wall. The Vatican Gardens has lots of different plants that were donated from various countries.
     Besides these different plants, there were statues, beautiful fountains, the cool towers you can see from the back gate of Candia, and.... GRASS!!!! And shade. I was so happy to see grass. I went ahead and sat on a patch even though that probably was a faux pas. I kind of didn't care, as there was no one around except for my group. I loved being in the quiet of the gardens, and having the shade of trees. Such a wonderful getaway.
      Here are a few pictures. I'll try to get you some more later.
 

Suess-like tree-thing on the cactus wall

 
 
We the lucky ducks who got to go.



A frog fountain!!! I was very sad to not see any real
such creatures. :(  I've really missed them.
 
I was so in love with this tower. I must've taken like 15 pictures of it.
Too bad I couldn't get into it. Rapunzel moment!

The "chairs" in this one area were just too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment