Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Meditation (sort of) and Summary of What's to Come

     Okay, I know I've been abominably bad this past week and a half, but I have had makeup classes (making up for time lost, not cosmetics), a test, a paper, a presentation, a trip to Florence, a Canonization, a tour by the president of the college, and lunch with a cardinal; so I hope you'll forgive me my business. (I also have a trip to Paris coming up this weekend.)
     However, I am not going to write about that here. I will instead share with you some of what I wrote in between homework this evening as I sat in front of St. Peter's. It's kind of messy, but that's because it's diary-style, not academic paper-style.
 
------------
     Oh my gosh, I’m like the luckiest kid ever. I’m doing my theology homework in St. Peter’s Square, and the Pope’s at home, and I can see the lights are on in his windows; I’m listening to “Ave Maria” in one ear; the other ear hears seagulls flying above my head, their white bellies against the dark blue sky like moving stars, more like snow, with their pretty voices. I can hear the fountains behind me, and pilgrims and priests are walking past me every few minutes. There are still tapestries of the new saints hanging from the windows of St. Peter’s, AND my computer shows that there’s a network called “SANTOSPIRITO” that I could connect to if I had the password. It’s a fairly clear night, the weather is lovely. The Swiss Guards at St. Anne’s were wearing the stripes, which means a special occasion is tomorrow (because tomorrow started at Vespers or some other prayer this evening). I am drinking water from  the drinking fountains in St. Peter’s Square; and as my computer’s background, I have a picture which I took at the Papal Audience, in which I sat in the FIRST row, and the Pope-mobile was RIGHT in front of me. I almost could have touched the Pope! I’ve seen him in person like 4-5 times, heard his voice live at least as many times. I’ve gotten his blessing thrice, once for each time I’ve gone to a special thing. I was at the Canonization of like the second Filipino saint EVER and of St. Kateri, which is huge for America. I’ve heard the Pope in ten  different languages at least. I don’t even know how many times I’ve been in St. Peter’s Basilica, for Mass or not. At least ten. I just can’t believe this. The Pope is practically my next door neighbor! If I ran out of my bed and there were no cars, I could probably get to the Holy Walls in under 60 seconds. 60 seconds! I’m in St. Peter’s Square on average at least three days a week. Probably more like four. I’ve had the chance to gain SO many indulgences since I got here and I don’t even know it. I had lunch with Cardinal Arinze yesterday. I sat next to the president of my college at lunch today in a totally informal setting; he gave me a hug and remembered my NAME when he saw me yesterday. How many people can say they’ve done that? Gotten a hug from the president of their college?! And in St. Peter’s Square?! How many?! How many people have had the Pope mention their college? Not while we were here, but I know he has before. Man, I’m one lucky kid… To have been in the Vatican enough times that you recognize about five of the people who work there. That many times! I can follow the Latin Mass (Novus Ordo) pretty well without having anything in front of me, I can sing at least the first verse of "O Sanctissima" by heart; I actually know the meanings of some terms that so many people take for granted, like “cosmos.” Heck, I even know why we think of apples when we think of Adam and Eve! So much stuff that almost no one knows anymore. I can follow chant notation; I can’t read it, but I can see when to go up and down, and when to hold. I can PRONOUNCE Latin! I can pronounce it ecclesiastically! I understand the symbols in Christian art, I know the stories in the Bible and the stories of the saints. Not many, but a number.     St. Peter’s is like LOTR. [The Lord of the Rings] Actually, I should say that LOTR is like St. Peter’s. You notice something different every time you’re here. I just noticed either more gold or more lights or both on the cupola. Just WOW.     I also saw them open the special doors in the Holy Walls when they had to fix something.
    
I also know what incense smells like, and have noticed the different smells of different kinds.
    
And the moon is REALLY bright and really clear. And I see bishops every time I pass through here; or at least everyday. And on Sunday there are always bishops and a cardinal concelebrating Mass.
    
Now it’s getting cold. I just want to sleep here. [NO, I wasn't going to. I'm not that stupid.] It’s so peaceful at night, even with people taking pictures and goofing off.      I’m now listening to Christmas songs, the more traditional kind. The REAL traditional kind. I can’t imagine how cool it would be to be here at St. Peter’s for Christmas if it snowed and there were pine branch decorations… That’d be so cool. But I think the American idea of Christmas is not what would be experienced in Rome so much. That’s more English and German.      Everybody keeps staring at me. I guess it IS weird for someone to just be sitting on the ground against a fence facing St. Peter’s, especially when they’re typing on a computer. I’ve never seen anyone else do that, but it can't be THAT weird. Who cares. I’m not doing anything wrong. And the police must’ve seen me, because the laptop is bright. And they don’t seem to care. I’m not  blocking traffic, I take up less than half this aisle. And I’ve had a number of Americans pass by.

1 comment:

  1. My last night in Rome I sat against a fence (near the obelisk - they were setting up the creche scene) looking at S. Pietro and thinking pretty much the same thing...enjoy every moment, m'dear.

    ReplyDelete